Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Grateful for eyes!

We had a scare with Sydney this last week. She has a seizure and when waking from the medication she woke screaming in pain. She soon had a fever and spent the next day and a half in my bed with no lights. She would wake, hold her head cry and that would hurt and cause her to scream and eventually fall asleep, occasionally waking and vomiting. It is common for fevers to cause seizures, but this happened in April and she has had fevers many times and never triggered a seizure. After a doctor visit we were given nausea medicine and figured we'd watch it. Later the second day I noticed she was calling for me and I came in and she was still calling towards the door for me and I had just walked in front of her and was standing beside her. That was the red flag and after doing little tests here and there I realized she couldn't see. We went straight to the hospital. It was so scary! My heart hurts for her when she gets tests, but to watch her have to have blood, and urine tests done and she couldn't see things to know what was coming, she hurt too much to focus on what I was saying and when they took 5 times to get a spinal tap I for the first time was tipping on my braking point, I got nauseous and had to step back, but realized my voice was the only familiar thing going on. She was so brave, but I can't imagine how you'd feel having people holding you, not even knowing where you are and then feeling the pain. She was amazing!!! All the tests and scan came back OK, we were watched for a couple days. After a day and a half in the hospital her vision started coming back. I don't think I have been scared like that before, how was I going to describe things to her, what Christmas gifts do we have that she would be able to play with, would she remember what Carter looked like, would she remember her sister, did she know her colors well enough? So many concerns. This is another one of those things that there was not a single thing I could do. I'd just lay with her and we'd sing and sing. How grateful and completely humbled I am from this experience.In primary we learn about hands and eyes and how important this body of ours is, that will never be a simple meaningless lesson. I am so grateful for this little eyes and the ability to use them. After last year loosing hand and feet ability and then this year the vision we love every little part of her working body! The Dr.s concluded that some of her seizures trigger a migraine, and very rarely migraines can cause a fever, vomiting, & vision loss. It just shouldn't be gone that long, so in the future we'll watch and look for it sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment