Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Heading to Idaho

The kids and I did the trek to Idaho. We left about 4am and started the LONG drive! I have never done the drive alone, so this was a trial run to see if we'd do it again. It was a wonderful drive! We weren't rushed, the kids were delightful! Besides Sydney unplugging herself and leaking milk ALL over the back seat, and an hour or two of constantly eating to stay a wake there were no problems! We arrived at Grandpa & Grandmas in Idaho about 8pm.
When we hit Salt Lake it was a nice break when we went to visit Grandma Paul (my Dads Mom). We missed seeing her last year. I knew she was struggling with her health, and I was a little nervous to see her in the state that she may be in. It was such a treat to have her talking and alert, it was the most alert she'd been in a while I later learned. We were able to visit, it was so nice!! She kept commenting on the kids, it was a treat. It was so Grandma while we were talking she was very aware of were the kids were in the house, even if they were out of the room.
Sydney kisses by doing what we call ET kisses. They touch fingers and she makes a kiss sound. Grandma caught on and it was sweet to watch them give kisses.
Grandma loved when we'd visit in the past with Carter, and I think he reminded her of her boys because she kept talking about them and how much she loved them. I am so glad we were able to stop by and visit. Her smile, her laugh, her painted finger nails, the soft blanket on her bed, the smell of her house, and holding that familiar hand will be things that I hope to never forget. It was a sweet visit. Grandma passed away a week later. What a joyous reunion she must have had with her loving husband, daughter, and Savior!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the pictures of Great Grandma! She never got to meet Eliza, her first Great-Great Grand daughter, but it's so wonderful that she got to see your kids when she was so close to the veil. Too bad we weren't a little closer in Idaho to Neil's family or we could've seen you around that time too! Oh, well. At least we had the reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the pictures alone were absolutely precious so I can't even imagine how much that time with her meant to you!

    I'm so impressed that you drove all the way to Idaho by yourself with the kids! Way to go Karen!

    FBC just started up yesterday and as I was getting ready in the morning, I was thinking about all the kids who "graduated" and wouldn't be there this year. I am going to miss seeing you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa makes that drive from Saltlake to Phoenix and it is LOOONNNGG. I can't imagine having to go the extra few hours. You are a tough women. Thanks for the card and Im glad to see you have a blog. I can not believe how big your kids are. Time moves us along that is for sure.

    ReplyDelete